WHAT IS LITHOTHAMNION?
Lithothamnion is a type of calcareous algae about 2cm long, featuring a blue-violet color while alive. It features offshoots that break off after reaching adulthood, composed of about 95% mineral material.
The dietary portion of lithothamnion is its “skeleton”, which is mainly calcareous and very rich in trace elements (19 in total).
LITHOTHAMNION IN NATURE
Lithothamnion can be found in permanently submerged areas all around the planet – particularly in the Atlantic, the North Sea, the English Channel, and the Mediterranean.
THE BENEFITS OF LITHOTHAMNION
Lithothamnion’s unique structure makes it an optimal source of calcium and vitamin D2. Among its many advantages are the following:
- Beneficial effects on bone building and repair .
- Beneficial effects on acid-base balance: The calcium carbonate present in lithothamnion is a natural antacid that helps fight acidity and promote bone mineralization.
- Beneficial effects on digestion: The magnesium content in lithothamnion helps stimulate bowel function.
- Beneficial effects on fatigue & stress: The micronutrients in lithothamnion have a positive effect on stress management and nervousness.
Among lithothamnion’s further effects is that it promotes of the formation of red blood cells and the corresponding cellular oxygenation, thanks to its iron content.
WHO SHOULD TAKE LITHOTHAMNION?
Lithothamnion can be taken by anyone, even children. It is particularly recommended for:
- anyone seeking acid-base balance
- anyone seeking healthier bones
- growing children and adolescents
- active people and athletes seeking to replenish minerals lost during physical activity
THE COMPOSITION OF LITHOTHAMNION
Lithothamnion’s beneficial effects are largely a result of the trace elements it contains. In fact, lithothamnion contains more than 74 different minerals, including calcium and magnesium, in forms that are particularly well assimilated by the body.
Lithothamnion is composed of more than 98% mineral substances.
About 30% of its weight is calcium, which is present in the form of carbonate – a standard dose of lithothamnion contains 100% of the recommended daily intake of calcium.
Vitamin D2 promotes calcium fixation, enabling optimal utilization of calcium by the bones.
 Widaa A. & al. : The osteogenic potential of the marine-derived multi-mineral formula aquamin is enhanced by the presence of vitamin D. Phytother Res. 2014 May;28(5):678-84. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5038.